From time to time, the erection of buildings or the change of use of land and property occurs without the benefit of planning permission. This might occur, for example, because the need for planning permission was not known at the time the development or change of use took place. 

In certain circumstances, where the development occurred some time ago and the Council has not taken enforcement action in the meantime, it is possible to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Existing Use or Development (CLEUD) to regularise the planning situation. In other circumstances, it is possible to obtain a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Use or Development (CLOPUD) where you wish to confirm that a proposed use is lawful or any operations that are proposed would be lawful if undertaken without prior consent.